Like most Philadelphia psychiatrists, Dr. Ascher is an out-of-network provider, meaning that he does not accept direct payments from insurance companies. For standard initial consultation and follow-up rates, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or submit the contact form on this website. Standard rates may vary slightly depending on complexity of case, frequency of visits and time devoted to care. Patients who are stable are usually seen once every three months.
Payment via cash, check or credit card is requested at the time of service. Services are an eligible expense for Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA). Individuals with Medicare must sign an agreement that states that they will not submit claims to Medicare. Dr. Ascher has opted out of Medicare.
If you are interested in seeking reimbursement from your insurance company, contact them directly to obtain information about your “out-of-network” coverage for mental health. You will want to ask them:
1) What is my deductible?
2) What percentage of fees are covered (e.g. 70 % of a total number of visits per year)?
3) In what time period must claims be submitted (this can vary from a couple of months to over a year from the date of service)?
4) What is considered “reasonable and customary” for zip codes 19103 (Philadelphia) and 19004 (Bala Cynwyd), which determines the rate at which they will reimburse you for treatment. Some companies may request a procedure code in addition to a zip code to determine their reimbursement rate. Dr. Ascher is always happy to provide this information and to do his best to assist in these matters.
Dr. Ascher will provide invoices for rendered services. These forms will have diagnosis codes and description of services rendered. (Insurance companies generally require documentation with this information for out-of-network claims).
A typical initial consultation with Dr. Ascher will last about 90 minutes. He will assess your condition, order necessary laboratory testing, reach out to previous providers (with your consent), and provide resources and support to you and your loved ones.
Dr. Ascher regularly checks in with you via phone and email to see how you are progressing and responding to treatment (there is no charge for this service). He will also collaborate with your existing therapist and any other providers who are treating you regularly to see how you are progressing (there is no charge for this service). Ongoing and stable patients are seen, at a minimum, at least once every three months for a follow-up session.
Dr. Ascher also has an extensive referral network of providers who share his philosophy of care and he can help you find the perfect clinician who can work with you to meet your individual needs (medical, emotional, financial etc). Please see Dr. Ascher’s Code of Ethics to learn more about his approach to referrals.
When considering cost of mental health services, also consider the cost of not getting treatment. Consider the following:
Has untreated mental health needs or substance misuse impacted your earning power?
What else have you lost due to your unmet mental health needs?
How much money have you spent trying to self medicate your issues with non-prescribed substances?
How much will you spend if you continue self-medicating with non-prescribed substances?
- Authorization to Release Information
- Non Secure Communication Information
- Notice of Privacy Practices & Policies
- Statement of Privacy Practices
- Notice of Office Policies & Procedures
- Code of Ethics
An electronic and paper record (file) is kept of services that you receive in the office. Dr. Ascher does not release patient evaluations, progress notes or therapy notes. A summary of care will be provided to patients and/or third parties (with patient’s written consent) when medical records are requested.